This Monday my new friends Whitney and Luke came over and we picked apples from our old tree in our new back yard in oakland and we made an apple pie together along with a coconut curry corn chowder dinner. We started at 3pm and ate by 8:45.
Gluten Free Pie Crust & Pie Top
Preheat oven to 375 F
- 2 1/2 cups of Gluten Free Flour mix of your choice (king arthur, bobs red mill, etc)
- 1 teaspoon flax (ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (optional)
- Grease a 9″ pie pan with ghee or butter.
- Throw all the ingredients in your mixing bowl and whisk the crap out of it (thanks Mom for the family heirloom mixer, takes much longer by hand but is still possible)
- Once it forms a ball STOP mixing and separate ball into two equal halves and put in fridge for about an hour or as long as you you can wait (1 ball for bottom one ball for top of pie).
- Once you are ready to shape the dough roll one ball to desired pie size or press into the shape of your desired vessel (I prefer the pressing method)
- Pre-bake without filling, Line the bottom with pie weights (or a small iorn skillet, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the weights, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, till the crust is a light golden brown.
- Now Pie Crust is ready! Save other ball of dough for later.
Backyard Apple Pie without Sugar
Preheat oven to 425F
- 10-13 apples sliced with skin
- 5-8 figs squeeze the gooey center into the mix with the apples (optional)
- 2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of gluten free flour mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter
- 2 tablespoons of rye whiskey, bourbon or brandy
- Slice apples.
- Once you have melted 1 or 2 tablespoons of ghee or butter in a large iron skillet toss the apples and figs in too.
- Sprinkle and coat the apples with lemon, cinnamon and cardamom and gluten free flour tossing to coat.
- Cook on high heat. Add the alcohol and cook till the apples begin to soften.
- Add maple syrup, coating the apples.
- Pour apples and all into your very own pre-cooked pie crust.
- Take that other ball of dough and either flatten it out, crumble it up or weave it over the top of the the pie and seal the edges if needed.
- Bake at 425F for 35 to 40 min until golden brown.
- Eat with whip cream or ice cream!